MSU is built on the competency and achievement of its people. To assure MSU's reputation and quality, it is critically important to remain competitive with peers nationally for faculty compensation and within norms of the regional market for support staff.
- MSU ranks eighth in the Big Ten in total employment and tenth on a per-student basis.
- Personnel costs represent the largest segment of the budget at approximately $743 million or in excess of 67 percent of the total.
- Fringe benefit expenses cost $169 million. Major components are:
- Health care ($74 million)—Changes to MSU's health plans resulted in $25M in savings.
- Retirement ($46.7 million)- Long-term growth rate parallels salary growth.
- Social security ($35.3 million)- Long-term growth rate parallels salary growth
*Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to read PDF documents.